Problems finding a buyer?
After the “lunatic asylum” was transferred to where the university hospital is located today, the former monastic buildings had to make way for the construction of the so-called department store in 1843. The friary was dismantled and any reusable materials were sold. However, a cache of roof tiles were left behind on site. Their so-called head lugs, small projections on the back of the tiles which allowed them to be fixed to the batten, had been knocked off so that they could be used to cover a courtyard wall.
Information on the excavation that is taking place in the cloister of the Barfüsserkloster:
- Roof tiles
- 14th–19th centuries
- finding place: music hall of the city casino